Rather than explaining why anybody would want to migrate content from SquareSpace to WordPress, I thought it would be more efficient to just dig in. So, in order to migrate content and assets from SquareSpace to WordPress, you will need to follow these steps:
Configure WordPress for importing data from SquareSpace
Before you do anything, you will want to make sure that WordPress is configured to import data from SquareSpace. The import is done using the Movable Type and TypePad Importer plugin.
- First, you will need to install the Movable Type and TypePad Importer plugin from http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/movabletype-importer/ (you can also search for it in your plugins dashboard).
- Next, activate the plugin either network wide (for multi-site WP installations, or for the site in which you are importing the SquareSpace content to)
- Your WordPress blog is now configured to import from SquareSpace.
Export the data from SquareSpace
Next, navigate to http://yoursite.squarespace.com/display/Login and sign in so that you can perform administrative actions. Once you are in, follow these instructions:
- Go to the home page of your SquareSpace site at http://yoursite.squarespace.com
- At the top-right of the page, click on “structure”
- Next, click on “configure this page” which is just above the title of the post
- Under “Journal Page Configuration” (the black slide-in that comes in on the right-half of the page), scroll all the way to the bottom and, under Data Export, click the “Export Blog Data” button.
- Confirm the data export when prompted and download the file to your Desktop.
- The blog posts are now exported from SquareSpace.
Importing the SquareSpace content into WordPress
Now that you have exported the post content from SquareSpace, the Moveable Type and Typepad plugin is enabled, you are ready to import the content into WordPress. Follow these steps:
- Back to your WordPress site, navigate to the WordPress Dashboard for that site and go to tools > import.
- Click on “Moveable Type and Typepad”
- Browse for the file you exported from SquareSpace and upload it
- That’s it! Your content should now be imported and, if you’re lucky like I was, all you will need to do now is import your images.