Installing Cisco PacketTracer 5.3.2 on 64-bit Ubuntu or Debian

!!IMPORTANT!!

This post is very old and outdated. I do not have access to the latest versions of Packet Tracer and therefore have no way to continue to assist with installation. If somebody has a recent copy of Packet Tracer they could provide to me, I would be happy to see if I can get it working and document the steps.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, READ THIS WHOLE ENTIRE ARTICLE. AFTER YOU HAVE READ IT, READ IT AGAIN. AFTER THAT, READ THE COMMENTS AT THE END OF THE ARTICLE – THERE ARE SOME USEFUL ONES. NEXT FOLLOW THESE STEPS.

Please like and/or +1 this site if this article helped you! ~

UPDATE: This will now work on Debian, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, and any other Debian-based Linux Distro. I have found the key package to make it work and added it to the installation script.

Attn: Debian Users:

In order for this tutorial to work, you must be able to run the sudo command as done below, or you must run the code below to log in as root:

su -

Moving On

If you are trying to install Cisco’s PacketTracer on a 64-bit Linux dist, you would be suprised it isn’t supported, but we have found a workaround which did the job beautifully. This article applies to PacketTracer version 5.3.2 but may work on future versions as well.

I was originally going to write a tutorial to make this happen, however I figured a shell script would be just as easy to write. So follow these instructions:

Download the Files

Go to Cisco’s website at http://cisco.netacad.net, login, and download PacketTracer to your home directory (the directory which uses your name).

Next, download PacketTracerx64Hack.sh – it is the shell script that does all the work for you. Put this file in the same home directory where you downloaded PacketTracer.

Start the Installation of Packet Tracer

Open up gnome-terminal (or the terminal of your choice) and do this:

sudo sh PacketTracer532*

Hacking It to Force it to Install

Press Enter, Read through the agreement (or if you have before, just press the space bar until you hit 90% and then use the Enter key (DO NOT PRESS Y) to go the rest of the way down). Do NOT press anything else though. At this point, you will want to run the shell script that you downloaded (open up a new terminal to do this):

sudo sh PacketTracerx64Hack.sh

Installation Complete

It should do the rest of the work and then you can run PacketTracer by either going to the GUI menu > Internet > Cisco PacketTracer or by running the following:

/usr/local/PacketTracer5/packettracer

(the installer will initially run PacketTracer for you automatically)

If these instructions worked for you, please let me know in the comments section below. Also, don’t forget to +1 or Like us at the top-left of the page!

To Uninstall Packet Tracer

Uninstalling Packet Tracer is fairly easy. To do so, follow these steps:

sudo dpkg -r packettracer;
sudo dpkg -r getlibs

If there are errors when you try to uninstall or it says packetracer is not installed:

sudo dpkg --list | grep packettracer

You might see something like packettracer:i386. Therefore, replace the dpkg -r packettracer command with the following (make sure to be root or use sudo):

dpkg -r packettracer:i386

96 Thoughts on “Installing Cisco PacketTracer 5.3.2 on 64-bit Ubuntu or Debian

1. jorge mendoza on March 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm said:

Gracias!!

2. Tony Weyrick on February 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm said:

Tried step-by-step, but it never opens the Application
    Any help appreciated. Packet Tracer 5.3.3 Linux Mint 13 64 bit

3. Happy1789 on February 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm said:

I forgot this info : it works
    Linux mint14 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 GNU/Linux

4. Happy1789 on February 25, 2013 at 12:53 pm said:

I’m happy : it works for me !

5. Thanks, very good!

6. Woow, it worked for me !! Thanks !!

Linux Mint 14, 64

7. It’s work on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    good work

8. Walter on February 9, 2013 at 1:05 am said:

Perfectly works on Mint Maya with PT 5.3.3!

9. Help like this is really appreciated. Thank you very much 🙂

10. cab00t on February 5, 2013 at 4:43 pm said:

You’re the man Kris. 😉

11. madseku on February 1, 2013 at 9:08 am said:

Works on Debian 7.0(Testing=Wheezy), just install ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs, it does not mess up my /etc/profile, just works…

Thanks…

12. ottimo grazie

13. Thank you so much. It is great.
    PacketTracerx64Hack.sh also works with Packet Tracer 5.3.3

14. Good! Now PacketTracer 5.3.2 perfectly works on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.. You are great!!
    Tank you sincerely!

I point that after you run the command

sudo sh PacketTracerx64Hack.sh

do not have to do anything else but just close the terminal windows left open, without completing the installation that was started.
    Good work.
    Ale

15. Emilio on January 14, 2013 at 8:34 am said:

Thank You so much! It works!!!!

16. Works fine with PT 5.3.3 on Ubuntu 12.10, I read the first few entries, then while install I read the rest. Hope I do not get locked out. 🙁

17. Nagesh Mallappa on December 26, 2012 at 4:11 am said:

IT Worked for me…Thank u very much !!!

18. Schmingy on December 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm said:

Worked like a champ, after tearing all of my hair out. Great package.

19. son of the ***** it works, it works!!!! , thanks a lot !!!!!

20. It works! Thanks for the solution 😀

21. Thank you! Everyone who posts about packettracer 5.3.3 installation issues COMPLETELY forgets about the processor architecture it was written for! i386 VS AMD64. Thank you again for the package, well done!

22. Excellent works fine – ENSURE YOU FOLLOW EXACTLY WHAT IS SAID!!

thanks again

23. +1 thank you very much. It’s great to see a fix for such a unique problem. Firstly packet tracer which is a program not a lot of people have to work with espicially on Ubuntu . Secondly 64-bit systems which are being supported more and more as time goes on but are relatively “new”. Either way my sincere thanks…

24. nice share, to install cisco packet tracer, only one step,,,

25. it’s not work in my blankon linux AMD64…
    help me please..

26. Ubuntu on October 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm said:

It works!
    Thanks a lot, man.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, 64bit here.

27. Thanks a lot but i can’t drag virtual routers on packet tracer when i drag one of those routers and it show that access denied icon on virtual router.

28. Bob Bosak on October 3, 2012 at 7:13 am said:

Sounds like someone made something useful! Wish I would have known about it last night! All I did for packet tracer installation was set file permissions with the help of “sudo nautilus” then clicked on it and it installed. Probably takes 10 minutes longer than the method you are describing! Thanks for doing justice to Linux systems! Is people like you that make Linux great and powerful!

29. The link has been fixed. I’m sorry for the inconvenience!

30. hi, the link PacketTracerx64Hack.sh not work , I view an error page, you can send me on my email this script?

31. Anyone with the script should kindly reupload it somewhere….te script url is currently dead!

32. As for today, the link is down. Anyway, tried before this and it’s works. Need to reupload the file back.

33. Link is down? I did it in the past and it solved the problem, but now i can’t load the link. Connection timeout :S

34. Great work, thanks a lot! It’s working on Intel Core i3 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, albeit with report of system problem.

35. Thank you so much, I’ve tried many tricks….but these seem very pro…thx

36. Mike on July 6, 2012 at 4:32 am said:

Great work, thanks a lot. It works fine on Debian Squeeze 6.0.5 amd64 with Cisco PT version 5.3.3.

37. Ayikai on June 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm said:

You are absolutely brilliant. I would never have got this to work. Thank you, thank you.

38. Michael on June 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm said:

now i can run packet tracer on ubuntu 12.04 64 bits

• AstroKarbs on August 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm said:

Michael, this worked for you on 12.04 64 bit? I ran it on 11.04 and before that on 10.10, After the release of 12.04 I installed it on that OS and it did not work and I have not tried since. If you can verify it worked for you I will try again.

Thanks.

39. AstroKArbs on June 2, 2012 at 5:34 am said:

Worked for me…… thanks so much. : )

40. Giovanni on May 27, 2012 at 11:28 am said:

It does work! Great!!
    Thanks a lot!

41. thank you!! 🙂

42. Jason R. Crisostomo on May 15, 2012 at 6:47 am said:

It's works like charm, thank you so much…

43. Fernando Mossmann on May 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm said:

Worked very well!
    Thank you!

Just a observation: the PacketTracer install script will edit your /etc/profile script and mess up things in there.
    Make sure you backup this file before start the installation, or you will be impossible to loggon after a system restart.
    After install PT, back to your original /etc/profile and add this two lines at the end:
    PT5HOME=/usr/local/PacketTracer5
    export PT5HOME

And done!

• Kris Law on May 16, 2012 at 11:05 pm said:

Great observation Fernando! I noticed that too and suppose I should have added that to the article. Thanks for your input!

44. Vergil Belen Roblas on April 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm said:

..It's working! Thank you. 😀

45. mahm0ud on April 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm said:

i love u kris
    very very nice
    this workS!!!!

46. Theo Wade on March 5, 2012 at 4:42 am said:

Thanks!

47. Jason Cole on March 4, 2012 at 10:16 pm said:

Thank you so much! I spent a couple days trying to install this w/o this script. Now I don't have to ask my boss and can start my CCNP studying.

48. It worked for me on debian wheezy 64bit editon.

Thanks

49. El Mazter on February 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

Gracias, ahora lo puede instalar. Thank !!!

50. Vương Nga on January 28, 2012 at 1:34 pm said: